The deal: 157 dance organizations dancing in 57 different dance styles.
The goal: To shine a light on New York’s unfair cabaret law, which bars three or more people from dancing in a venue without a special permit; a law reinforced by one of our own current presidential candidates, Rudy Giuliani and his Nightclub Enforcement Task Force which clamped down on - gulp! - unlicensed dancing (where's Kevin Bacon when you need him?).
Seen: A cube, a biker bear, a couple of amused cigar-chomping contractors, 10-feet tall cops, colombian cock, los brasileiros, a cutie, another cutie, a cutie and another one. Oh, and Freedom Williams, formerly of C&C Music Factory and, of course, the legendary Danny Tenaglia!
We've got more photos here but, most importantly, we also got lotsa videos too! Including a carioca version of Danny Tenaglia's "Music is the Answer," those hottie cops I mentioned before, Freedom doing "Everybody Dance Now" despite some technical problems that plagued his performance (OMG, I think I can hear myself singing in that one) and his protege Alkebulan.
Best ones by far, Afro Mosaic Soul and the Dance Factory (see below for YouTube videos).
- Dance Parade (Gamma Blog)
- Dance Parade 2007 Hits New York City (Shadwa)
- Dance Parade (New York Daily Photo)
- Dance Parade Was Fun (The Click Heard Around the World)
- Gester waren wir bei der First Annual Dance Parade... (Janinalicious, isn't it)
- Dance Parade NYC 2007 (mycityofnewyork)
- Dance Parade 2007 (Dietrich's Flickr Photos)
- Dance Parade (Bee Man's Windows Live Photo Album)
- Dance Party on Broadway, No Cabaret License Required (The New York Times)
- "New York can never take away the dance from us!" (Associated Press, May 19, 2007)
- Dance dance revolution (Time Out New York, May 17-23)