In a statement posted yesterday on the official Venezuelan national assembly webpage, committee member Celia Flores is said to have told a number of journalists - in an 'informal' meeting - that the move came in response to requests by 'several' gay organizations. Namely, the United Socialist Block of Homosexual Liberation, which met with Flores on July 9th.
"The discrimination and rejection," they told Flores, "are responses, in our judgement, to maintaining practices related to the capitalist logic, of the dominant class and their ideology of the normal."
The Socialist Block, formerly known as the Chávez ass-kissing Revolutionary Gay Movement of Venezuela, is mostly a one-man circus as led by Venezuelan gay advocate Heisler Vaamonde (pictured above). I'll give him props if the measure is adopted.
- Sept. 16, 2007: President Chávez too macho to be gay
- Sept. 12, 2007: Embassy in Spain defends Chávez from gay rumors
- Sept. 8, 2007: Is President Hugo Chávez - gulp - gay?
- March 19, 2006: 1,500 naked Venezuelans, Simón Bolivar and a Brooklynite
- Nov. 29, 2005: Gay politics in Venezuela