The latest (and please try not to let your brain explode): Extreme right-wing Alaska governor Sarah Palin (right), who McCain announced as his running mate on Friday, has since been linked to the following:
- An ethics investigation for alleged misuse of her powers as a governor
- Trying to keep her 17 year-old daughter's out-of-wedlock pregnancy under wraps, which, of course, doesn't fit with the 'abstinence only' and 'wholesome family values' memes that have been used by Republicans over and over again
- And, most chillingly, "painted the current war in Iraq as a messianic affair in which the United States could act out the will of the Lord" as The Huffington Post unveiled
- Oh, and that is tied to her emerging Reverend Wright moment (h/t Andrew Sullivan)
Palin will be dropped by week's end and Daddy Yankee (above) will be McCain's new running mate! Here's why:
Both met John McCain only once and evidence indicates they were hardly vetted, if at all:
- In a jaw-dropping move, Daddy Yankee appeared at an event staged in an Arizona high-school a week ago Monday and endorsed McCain (they had only met only once before and the campaign staff were reported to be at a loss on how the endorsement arrangement came about - and were clueless about his raunchy lyrics).
- In a jaw-dropping move, Sarah Palin appeared at an event staged in Ohio on Friday and was named as McCain's vice-presidential pick (they had met only once before and she was only vetted a week ago today - and staffers were clueless about everything that has been revealed since she was selected).
- Daddy Yankee, who is 31, has three children with his wife Mirredys: For some bizarre reason they thought it would be cute to call their kids Yamilet, Jesairis (nicknamed Yayi) and Jeremy (ok, Jeremy gets a pass). For someone who is a musical star in Puerto Rico, he is famously protective of their privacy and rarely talks about them to press.
- Sarah Palin, who is 44, has five chidren with her husband Ted: For some bizarre reason they thought it would be cute to call their kids Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig (ok, I admit Trig is a pretty cool name). For someone who is a political star in Alaska, she has certainly benefitted from having a large family and being seen as a mom with good ol' American family values.
- Daddy Yankee's biggest hit was "Gasolina" which McCain famoulsy invoked during the endorsement event apparently oblivious to the fact that the song is not about pumping gasoline but, instead, about - er - pumping semen into a girl.
- One of Sarah Palin's biggest hits with conservatives is her embrace of oil drilling as a panacea for the economic doldrums. McCain has famously said that the ticket will push for accelerated off-shore oil drilling aparently oblivious to the fact that he's just making oll companies wealthy and destroying the environment with little economic return.
- In building up his street-cred, Daddy Yankee can't stop singing about guns and ammo even though, as with "Gasolina" sometimes in his songs a gun means something else altogether.
- In building up her street-cred, Sarah Palin can shoot AK-47's with the best of them even when she's showing her children how to kill Bambi's dad.
- Daddy Yankee is from Puerto Rico and appeals to Latinos
- Sarah Palin is from Idaho and appeals to gun-tottin' PUMA's
- Daddy Yankee headlined what was supposed to be a Latinos for John McCain fundraiser concert on Monday (which, alas, came on the day that Hurricane Gustave hit Louisiana so the money was given to the Red Cross instead).
- Sarah Palin is headlining tonight's prime time speeches (which, alas, was meant to be celebratory but now seems to be all about damage control).
- Daddy Yankee 'cause, well, he's Daddy Yankee
- As for Sarah Palin she is actually on record (check the 2:55 minute mark from this YouTube video from a month ago)
Plus, McCain would look more hip to the youngsters as well! Or not... (via David Ortez)