The presidential elections are over. Obama won. Some say that the Latino vote was key in flipping states like Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Florida (though the ones who say that are the ones who most benefit from painting Latinos as a powerful voting block). And even if that's the case it couldn't possibly have been thanks to this:
Oh my! Where to start. Well, the video was produced by something called Voto Latino, founded in 2004 "to promote an enfranchised America by leveraging celebrity voices, the latest technology and youth themselves to promote positive change" [Latino youth! Celebrities! Technology! Co-founder Rosario Dawson! Enfranchification! Yay!].
But wait! Pray tell: How can Voto Latino best engage the Latino youth of America? Wait! I got it! Spoofing the telenovelas that their moms watch!! [Huh?].
Yes! I kid you not but the clip above is but part five of a five clip series! [Must be a California thing, the No on Prop. 8 Latino outreach spot went the telenovela route as well].
Not surprisingly, the "edgy" and "now" concept received major coverage... for Rosario Dawson ("Rosario Dawson offers tips on romance", "Kenneth Cole's Awearness", "Rosario Dawson & Voto Latino on OPRAH!").
Which is all good and stuff since I don't take away the fact that she is using her celebrity for a worthy cause but...
1. Jane Fonda.
2. What!? JANE FONDA? Why yes! JANE FONDA!
3. The script! Who wrote it! (Ai, Dio... mio..., PLOP)
4. Is it better when English-dominant Latinos do funny fake stereotypical Latino accents? (Voteen's arrr'rite, not a prrrivilege!)
5. WEST SIDE STORY? Yeah, that'll get the Latino youth rushing to the voting booth.
6. Jokes about illegals? In a Latino vote drive project? Again: Who wrote the script?
7. And Wilmer Valderrama, eh, "singing"? Yikes!
Perez does do a nice pope-type priest, though.
Aside from coming out looking like a vanity project, I swear it's the most cringe-worthy thing I have seen in recent memory. Enjoy!
Update: Or... I might be totally wrong (see comments)
#WhiteChurchQuiet: Anything but Outrage Is Complicity - Why is it always “courageous” to stand with Black people?
2 hours ago