Sunday, December 14, 2008

Update: Jose O. Sucuzhañay has passed away

The New York Times is reporting that José Osvaldo Sucuzhañay, the Ecuadorean immigrant who was beaten up a week ago in an attack that is being investigated as a homophobic and xenophobic hate crime was declared dead after his heart stopped beating on Friday. Mr. Sucuzhañay, who was 31 years old and a father of two, had been declared brain-dead earlier in the week and never regained consciousness after the violent beating.

None of the three assailants who were seen at the scene of the attack have been caught but police released a description of one of the men and announced a $22,000 reward for information leading to their capture.

Mr. Sucuzhañay's mother, who received a special humanitarian visa to travel to the United States from Ecuador, arrived in the city on Friday but by then her son had already lost his life.

Two vigils had been previously announced to take place today in Brooklyn beginning at 2pm in Bushwick (click on link for more information). In addition, the Times says that Mr. Sucuzhañay's family are planning to hold a press conference today at 1pm in front of Elmhurst Hospital in Jackson Heights, Queens. A source lose to the family says that the family will then head to the vigils in Brooklyn.


No comments: