Breaking news this evening on a ruling by Colombia's Constitutional Court which broadens the recognition of same-sex partners in the South American nation. From El Tiempo web portal:
The high court ordered changes to 42 norms that range from Criminal, Civil and Disciplinary Codes, to the special health plan available to military forces.Whew! Translating that was a doozy! In short, regulations that determine criminal or violent conduct by persons involved in same-sex partnerships will be held to the same standards as those applied to married heterosexual couples. Or that is what I get from the article?
The Magistrates embraced a position paper submitted by their peer, Rodrigo Escobar Gil.
They ruled that the challenged dispositions did not justify the discrimination they instituted, or that the variances with regards to same-sex couples placed these people in a position of vulnerability before the law.
And in both cases, the Constitutional Court held that the right to equality was violated.
Hence, provisions such as those contained the Disciplinary and Penal Codes, which establish the right against incrimination by a spouse, should also be applied to heterosexual partners.
Another instance is that of crimes related to domestic violence; victims can be same-sex partners or aggravation imposed by law for crimes against the person.
This includes cases where reparations are made to victims of heinous crimes.
UPDATE: In a message posted tonight on Facebook by leading Colombian LGBT rights organization Colombia Diversa, they say that the ruling also establishes that gay Colombian citizens can grant foreign same-sex partners immigration rights in the same way that married heterosexual partners can sponsor their spouses for immigration purposes.
- Colombian court rules that former paramilitary member can dress as a woman while imprisoned (Jan. 18, 2009)
- Colombian Senate rejects same-sex partnership bill AGAIN; gay-friendly Notary Public shot to death in Bogotá (Oct. 11, 2008)
- Tuluá mayor bans 'riding bitch' on a motorcycle, the gays are NOT happy (Sept. 6, 2008)
- Colombian same-sex partners get pension rights (April 17, 2008)
- One Bogotá notary office, a hundred same-sex partnership registrations (Feb. 13, 2008)
- Colombian same-sex partnership rights bill is DEAD (June 19, 2007)
- Colombian Congress passes gay rights bill (June 15, 2007)
- Coverage of Colombia gay rights victory (Feb. 8, 2007)