Monday, December 06, 2010

My New York: High school confidential?


This sign was posted on the front doors of a public New York City high-school right across the street from my apartment building:
We value diversity and strive to create a safe space or all.  Discrimination against lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender youth, mentors, employees and foster/adoptive parents is prohibited.
I'm not sure when this campaign started. I certainly can't find it on the website of the city agency that created it (The NYC Administration for Children Services).  But I have to say that, living in Jackson Heights, I had to do a double take when I saw the poster.  It was there all day Friday and wasn't taken down all day long even as parents brought their children to school and teachers walked through those doors.

The long and short of it is that it made me think back of my days in high-school and how impossible something like this would have been at the time. Sometimes we LGBT rights advocates do not recognize it but things have certainly changed in our lifetime. Or, at the very least, my lifetime.

No comments: