Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My New York: Missed the Kabaddi tournament... AGAIN

It's a seasonal thing. Once a year bright colored posters go up on the windows of some of the Indian and Pakistani supermarkets in my neighborhood announcing the annual Kabaddi tournament in Richmond Hill, Queens.

I've always wanted to check them out but for some reason I always notice the posters after the tournament is all over. This year, though, I think I figured out why.

I swear the poster to the right was taped to the window only this week, a week after the event! Maybe you get the posters at the event and then post them out of pride for the sport once you get back home?

Now, I admit, I was confused. Based on posters from past years I always thought these were Turkish oil wrestling matches but no sirree! There's no oil involved! And - until I read the poster last night - I hadn't even heard the word Kabaddi.

So what is Kabaddi? For one you might check the Kabaddi.org site or Wikipedia for info. Or just check the YouTube video below. Any takers for next year's matches?

Related: In India, an HIV prevention campaign targeting Kabaddi fans (BBC News, March 20, 2008)

1 comment:

Elyaqim Mosheh Adam said...

If we are able to determine the date in advance, let’s go together. I live in Jackson Heights.