Thursday, May 25, 2006

Gay rugby takes over the Big Apple

I've known for months that come Memorial Day Weekend New York would be the host city for this year's Bingham Cup (named for gay rugby player Mark Bingham, who died on 9/11 on the plane that crashed in the fields of Pennsylvania).

The event, which brings together a bunch of gay rugby clubs for a three day international tournament, also includes a women's division. Matches will be held at Randall's Island starting tomorrow and through the weekend. They are open to the public and are free.

I was looking forward to attending some of the games and maybe say hi to some of the guys I know from the San Francisco Fog and New York's own Gotham Knights (pictured above at the 2002 Heritage of Pride march). Alas, I just found out that I will be out of the city this whole weekend.

At the very least, I don't see any teams from Argentina in the tournament so I'm pretty sure that it's not as if I'll miss out on a chance to meet, say, Luisma Molinari.

No comments: