Thursday, June 14, 2007

Colombia: Medellin to celebrate 10th annual gay pride parade

As prided out as I've felt this pride season, this never ceases to amaze me (see above) - specially because when I came to the United States it was, in part, because I did not think I would be able to live an openly gay life in my home country.

Several cities in Colombia already celebrate gay pride with different events including Cali and Bogota but on July 1st my home city of Medellin will be observing the 10th gay pride march for which organizers hope to attract more than 20,000 people.

I would have never thought as I was growing up that such an event could take place in Medellin, much less observe a 10th anniversary. Yet another sign of how things have changed not only in Medellin but throughout Colombia and Latin America on issues related to gay rights.

It is organized, in part, by the gay rights organization Corporacion El Otro (The Other Corporation). Their website needs to be updated but they will probably have more details as the date nears.

I will be in Medellin this summer. Unfortunately not on the day of the parade. Still, if you are there, let me know how it turns out!

No comments: